JL Audio JX1000 1D Review
JL Audio designed their JX amps with the express purpose of delivering a reliable performance and clean sound without having to break the bank. Unlike some other amps on the market, these are designed around performance instead of gimmicks.
The JL Audio JX1000/1D is built to last and stand a lot of wear. For the price, you will be hard-pressed to find something that works this well.
- RCA level inputs are nickel-plated for durability
- The power supply is unregulated RWM switching type
- Class D amp for a subwoofer
- The harness is included, and you get speaker level inputs.
- Soft start-up so that there is no clicking or other noises when everything starts up.
- Heat-sink made of high-quality aluminium alloy dissipates heat highly effectively.
- Low-pass active filter. This filter runs at 12db/octave. The idea with this is that the subwoofer would be unable to emit mid-range frequencies that might be harmful. You can choose a setting from 50 to 200 Hz. It is recommended that you start out on 80 Hz to get the system tuned. You should then make sure that your crossover point matches the satellite speakers’ high-pass filter.
- Flexible integration. This gives you options when it comes to how to connect up the system. You can connect it straight to the high-level connector using the harness and connectors provided. The amp will ensure that the high-level signal is attenuated and so compatible.
What really sets this amp apart from its nearest competitors is that it is so affordably priced and easy to integrate with many different systems. It performs as well as systems that cost a lot more. But that is to be expected, JL Audio has always focused on creating quality sound systems.
The manufacturer has spent the money where it makes the most sense – using MOFSET supplies and output transistors that are over-sized to ensure that the system can take a licking and keep on ticking. You are able to pound a lot of bass through this killer system.
With flexible capabilities when it comes to the processing of signals, pass-through pre-amp outputs and Bass EQ, this is an excellent system designed to get the best out of your sub-woofer.
You can also choose to buy the remote control as an optional extra, allowing you to adjust the subwoofer’s volume.
Is this the perfect amp? For low frequencies, it very well might be. However, considering the limited nature of the frequency response – it must fall under the 150 Hz range – this is not the system to power up speakers or tweeters in the mid-ranges.
For that reason, you cannot use the JL Audio JX1000 1D model to run all of the speakers in your vehicle – if you try to hook up the door speakers, for example, you will be very unhappy with the outcome.
So, you will need to consider buying a second amp as well, to deal with those speakers. However, that can be seen as a point in their favor. As the company has focused on a smaller range, they have been able to make the amp more specialized.
This lends superior performance when compared to amps that try to “do it all.”
Overall, considering the price, you are going to be surprised at the level of performance that you get. JL Audio has not disappointed with this model and has proven once again that it delivers real value for money without compromising performance.
One small drawback is that you cannot connect up mid-range speakers – the amp has not been built for that. But, let’s be fair here, how many of us are only going to be using one amp anyway? It makes sense to install a second amp to ensure that your whole system is adequately powered.
Considering that the amp has a more limited range, the company has been able to go all out providing the best user experience within that range. You will appreciate the difference this makes once everything has been installed.